Servant Leader Intern
The Servant Leader Intern (SLI) serves as a classroom teacher in a Freedom School literacy based summer enrichment program. The SLI helps to serve breakfast and lunch, leads a literacy rich curriculum during the morning, and leads/chaperones field trips or activities in the afternoon. The Servant Leader Intern should be experienced in working with groups of children, responsible, energetic, able to think on his/her feet, a good leader and a strong role model.
– Attend CDF Freedom Schools® National Training in Tennessee, and in-town training with Freedom School Partners
– Set-up, maintain and breakdown classroom space, adhering to Freedom School’s guidelines and instructions
– Serve as energetic Harambee (morning pep rally) leaders each morning of program operation
– Deliver the Integrated Reading Curriculum (IRC) to a class of ten or more scholars for the 6 weeks of the program,
per the standards developed by CDF Freedom Schools®
– Serve as leaders of afternoon activities and other special events; chaperone field trips
– Maintain health and safety standards, and report any concerns to the Site Coordinator
– Maintain accurate attendance records
– Collaborate with site staff to establish and maintain a positive, supportive, and structured environment for the scholars
– Serve as positive role models for the Freedom School Partners scholars
– Strong interpersonal skills, able to motivate others
– Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
– Interest in working as part of an intergenerational team
– Strong appreciation for individual cultural history and the willingness to be open to, and respectful of all cultures
– Mature and professional demeanor
– Enthusiasm for the CDF Freedom Schools® program and commitment to children’s advocacy and servant leadership
– At least 18 years old, enrolled in college and completed at least 1 year of undergraduate studies or recent college graduate who has previously served as a Freedom School Servant Leader Intern (SLI)
– Ability to work in the summer heat, lift at least 50 pounds and actively participate in all field trips and activities (field days, swimming, science experiments, etc.)
– Valid ID and reliable transportation
– Satisfactory drug test and satisfactory background check for criminal and child protective findings
About Freedom School Partners
Freedom School Partners is a nonprofit organization with the mission to “promote the long-term success of children by preventing summer learning loss through igniting a passion for reading and inspiriting a love of learning.”
Rockin’ Cool Freedom Schools operates two freedom schools in Licking County. The program runs from mid-June through July. SLIs are required to go to paid training in Tennessee during the first week of June with additional training and set-up at school site during the second week of June.
This is a PAID position!
If interested and want to be considered, register below. Deadline for submitting an application is April 30, 2021.